It’s that time of year again. Ladies and gentlemen, the summer movie season is upon us and with that come blockbusters, romantic comedies, and kids movies. Being a movie aficionado, I am very selective about films I will go see in the theatres. Here is the rundown of the films that I am anticipating:
- X-Men: First Class– Prequel to the X-Men trilogy, First Class takes place during the Cuban Missile Crisis and focuses on when Magneto and Professor X were friends and allies. Together, the two men lead a team of mutants that are the first X-Men. I am excited for this movie because it features two of my favorite X-Men characters: Emma Frost and Havok. X-Men: First Class comes out June 3.
- Super 8– After rebooting the Star Trek franchise, J.J. Abrams directs a sci-fi thriller about a group of friends that witness a train crash while filming a super 8 movie. This film is set in Ohio but was filmed in mostly West Virginia. This movie is must see for me because anything with J.J. Abram’s name attached to it in a writing or directing capacity is guaranteed to be a hit. Super 8 is released on June 10.
- Green Lantern- This is the movie that I have been waiting for since it was first announced. Based on the DC Comics character, the movie promises to be different from the standard super-hero movie. Green Lantern is directed by Martin Campbell who directed Casino Royale. While Green lantern is not my favorite comic book character, I do enjoy reading the book, and I have feeling this movie will change the perception of comic book movies. Green Lantern comes out on June 17.
- Bad Teacher- This comedy starring Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake, and Jason Segel looks amazing. I love all three of these actors and I am looking forward to seeing their on-screen chemistry.
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon– After the stinker that was Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, I really want to hope this one does not suck. It’s really hard to say when it comes to Michael Bay’s work. If it is does end up being a good movie, then I will change my opinion of Bay. My biggest problem with Revenge of the Fallen was that there were too many characters and not enough time to get to know each character. That and Megan Fox’s bad acting. Transformers: Dark of the Moon is released on June 29.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2– This movie marks the end of the Harry Potter saga and hopefully this will be the best movie. Those of you who have read the books know why this movie could be the best, but for those who have not read the book, I will not spoil anything about the story. Let’s just say that this movie should be epic. Deathly Hallows Part 2 comes out on July 15.
- Captain America: The First Avenger– This summer is a good one to be a comic book fan, as there are four movies based on comics. With an all-star cast, this movie could end up being a blockbuster. Anything is better than the first Captain America “movie”. This was a piece of shit that should be erased from pop culture history.
- Glee Live! 3D!– Ok I admit I am a gleek. This movie is a film of this year’s Glee tour. With the Season 2 finale aired last night, I am going to be going through Glee withdrawal over the summer and this will be the fix I need to cure that. This concert film comes out on August 12 for a limited 2 week engagement.
One movie I absolutely refuse to see this summer is The Smurfs. You think I would want to go see it since once of my favorite actors is in it, Neil Patrick Harris. No disrespect to Mr. Harris, but you could not pay me to see that perversion of one of my favorite 80s cartoon.
I’m sorry but there wasn’t a Scottish Smurf and Gargamel is just terrible. This movie should not have been made, in my opinion.
What movies are you looking forward to and which ones do you think will suck?