On Friday, June 15, the movie version of Rock of Ages, based on the Broadway musical, is released into theatres. The soundtrack for the film was released today and it is packed with the hits of the eighties rock bands sung by an all-star cast. Some of the best things about this album is Tom Cruise and Alec Baldwin singing, Mary J. Blige’s take on some of these classics, and the songs themselves. If the album is any indication of the film, this is going to be a great movie.
- “Paradise City” by Tom Cruise- The classic Guns N’ Roses song as sung by Tom Cruise. It’s not perfect but Tom does a great job with it.
- “Hit Me with Your Best Shot” by Catherine Zeta-Jones- I am so looking forward to seeing Catherine Zeta-Jones performance of Pat Benetar’s single. Zeta-Jones is an amazing singer as evidenced by her role as Velma Kelly in the movie Chicago, and while she only sings two songs in this movie, her role in this movie is central to movie’s plot.
- “Any Way You Want It” by Mary J. Blige, Constantine Maroulis, and Julianne Hough- While Constantine is billed on this song, it is Mary J. Blige and Julianne Hough that shine on this track. The breakdown near the end of the Journey song makes it fresh.
- “Waiting for a Girl Like You” by Diego Boneta and Julianne Hough- The Foreigner ballad is a sweet love song for Diego and Julianne’s characters.
- “We Built This City/ We’re Not Gonna Take It” by Russell Brand and Catherine Zeta-Jones- These two songs mashed together serves as a good point/ counterpoint for the climax of the movie. Even though I really don’t care for Russell Brand, this song really brings out his better qualities.
- Don’t Stop Believin'” by Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand and Mary J. Blige- Like the Broadway version, the Journey classic serves as the finale for the movie. All the voices featured in this song compliment each other and prove that each actor chosen serves their purpose in the film.
This album is definate buy for those love eighties rock and those who love musicals.